[BlindTlk] Google Earth Accessability?

Humberto Avila humberto_avila.it104 at outlook.com
Sun Mar 22 21:17:53 UTC 2020

Dear Kendra,

Thanks for posting your message on the Blind Talk list.

Last time I checked, Google Earth is currently inaccessible with JAWS. It uses visual mapping technologies to run, and just like in Google Maps, those features are not accessible unless they provide description, which they do not provide unfortunately.

I personally feel your pain with this accessibility shortcoming. I have been through many situations where my online classes were not accessible to me.  And this is like 2 years ago, when this COVID19 wasn't even a thing. But right now, as students at all levels have to do online course work, is even more important to consider the accessibility. I know this can be super frustrating for you not having full compensatory access to the curriculum. I know what it's like.

I haven't tried Google Earth on an iPhone with VoiceOver and I'd suspect that the access there might be the same as in the PC. I wouldn't have to lose anything by trying it if I were you. If all else, I'd use AIRA and say you need help with the content of your online classes. Right now due to this COVID 19 they are providing free assistance for all students. Also, they provide up to 30 minutes at a time for any help JAWS related. You can find more info at:

http://aira.io/

That's just my $0.02, although I realize that I am a very tech-minded person and I love using the tech myself as much as possible and I know some people aren't as comfortable with the technology.

I wish you the very very best in your provisionally online education and hope you get something resolved soon. Talking to your prof may also help. But good luck, and don't let the inaccessibility frustration halt you entirely. There are many ways to accomplish things and we all in the Blind Talk list are more than willing to help!!

Humberto

“Positive thinking leads to a positive attitude which leads to positive actions which lead to positive outcomes.”
— ME