[BlindTlk] exciting news

maddymartin at mymts.net maddymartin at mymts.net
Sat Nov 21 18:53:07 UTC 2020

Hi all,
I know that most of you don't know who this guy is, and this isn't blindness
related, but I just had to share. As my last post to the list was negative I
figured I'd share something positive that's happened in my life. I've been a
baseball fan for 5 years, and the Jays TV announcers are really grate at what
they do, if it wasn't for them I can honestly say that I wouldn't still be
watching baseball. When I first started watching I knew nothing about the game
(the rules
etc.) or anything about the players. Through them I learned about the game and
more importantly got to know the players. The one announcer in particular (Buck
Martinez) is really entertaining, but also really good at describing the game!
Anyway I've been wanting to write to him to tell him what a grate job he does
and that sort of thing, but I never had the nerve to do it, I was afraid that he
wouldn't understand or wouldn't respond. Anyway a few months ago I just decided
that I was going to bite the bullit and do it, so I went online and found his
mailing address, but it was during the season so I didn't do it because I
figured he'd be too busy. Well then one of my favourite hockey announcers
retired, and that made me even more determined to connect with Buck.
Well when I went online again I couldn't find the mailing address that I'd found
previously. I'm a member of a few Jays fan groups on FB, so I posted to see if
anyone knew or could find Buck's mailing address. I got tones of comments with
tones of suggestions, but the one that made it happen was one of the members of
one of the groups offered to copy my post and tweet it to the guy (Jamie
Campbell) who hosts the Blue Jays Central pre and post-game shows. He responded
and contacted Sportsnet (which is the chanel that carries all Jays games and
employs the announcers) and they reached out to Buck and explained the situation
and he agreed to give them his personal email address to give to me, as long as
I agreed not to share it with anyone, not that I would've anyway. I'd reached
out to Sportsnet twice previously, both times during the season, and I guess my
email got missed as they receive so many messages.
Anyway, not sure why I was afraid to write to him, he's been grate and he
understands how important good announcers are to people like me who can't
see!!!! Wish I'd just written him a letter 5 years ago! Plenty of sighted Jays
fans (including Dad) love him too!! Anyway that's the story. Thank goodness for
Twitter and for Jamie being a nice guy, I sent him a thank-you note along with
the lady who tweeted him. Now I just hope that we can get to another Jays game
and meet Buck before he retires (he's 76 or something), I'm not looking forward
to the day he retires, no one will ever be able to replace Buck. Just couldn't
resist sharing!
Madison