[BlindTlk] House Cleaning

Ericka dotwriter1 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 02:26:02 UTC 2021

Great advice especially about the bugs. My question is how do people combat car webs. First of all the creep me out. Second of all like the rest of us neither my husband nor I can see them. I can’t always reach high enough to find out where they originated so even if I get brave to clean it all out with my hands or a broom I’m still not doing a thorough job. This is tough for a IRA to help me with I would think. They could tell me whether I missed anything perhaps the cobwebs are not supposed to be seen. It’s their protection.

Don’t leave puddles of water around for the obvious reasons plus if you live in a place where you have a balcony or a home you don’t want puddles of water or plants with water sitting in them. That’s just inviting bugs all shapes and kinds. Just recently because it rained quite a bit between trying to move from one community to another I had a potted plant that was quickly planted this year and had poor drainage. Let’s just say that I can’t wait to dig holes in my front yard by the house and get these planted. I know one is infested with mosquitoes. YUCK!

My parents had a family crisis business in our old community to attend to so they stop by though condo to get the rest of the stuff from the garage and grab our plants. Everything is here safely. :-)

Ericka Nelson

> On Jul 17, 2021, at 6:20 PM, Humberto Avila via BlindTlk <blindtlk at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>
> Oh, and one more important piece of advice for you, Jen. I would say one thing is, if you're living on your own, to be aware of your place being prone to things like bugs, ants and such. The apartment I currently live in was built in 1924, and although the building is well kept and tidy, and is prone to humidity, spiders, and the like, but this is not to discourage. I think is so important to learn how to clean Proactively. I always try and do my cleaning right after I finish my meal for the evening. Then I don't have to worry about it. And on the weekends, I always do the vacuuming, and cleaning of the bathtub, toilet, and other things. I find it that if I use a table mat, and / or plates that are not as flat, I can pretty much avoid some messes in the first place, especially when cooking or eating. Then I can dust / shape off my mat in the sink when I am done with it.
>
> I found that vacuuming, personally, works well for me, and as Judy said, I can hear the dust and other things that the vacuum is sucking. That way I can therefore avoid the dustpan, as I find that I'm not as good at using dustpans and blooms as I'd like to be. So I just use my vacuum for sweeping, so to speak, and a wet mop with either soap / water / cleaning agent, or disinfectant wipes on the floor. Sometimes I find it that some things are stuck on the floor permanently, that is, once I find out after cleaning it the first time. For those I get down hands-on on the floor and scrub them off myself using disinfectant wipe. It works and seems to be good exercise. :)
>
> Hope all this helps.
>
>> On Jul 17, 2021, at 4:00 PM, Judy Jones via BlindTlk <blindtlk at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>
>> Oooo Humberto, you brought up some good points!  It is also important not to forget vacuuming under furniture, and periodically move it out so you can really get behind.
>>
>> Baseboards also collect dust, and only takes a couple minutes with a dust rag to get at them.  I vacuum them when I have the vacuum out, and go over them with the rag when I can remember hahaha.
>>
>> I love Windex, and it leaves no streaks if you wipe the glass dry, just as you described.There are great house cleaning tips on Youtube, too.  Do a search and adopt techniques that will work for you.
>>
>> The Fly Lady site covers everything from toilet bowl to patio and garage.
>>
>> Also, on Youtube, do a search for something like house cleaning for blind, or something like that and see what you can come up with.
>>
>> Judy

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindtlk_nfbnet.org/portillo.jim%40g
>>> mail.c
>>> om