[BlindTlk] Zoom screen sharing without screen reader interference?

Raul A. Gallegos - NAGDU rgallegos at nagdu.org
Sat May 15 17:06:02 UTC 2021

Hello Judy, this can easily be accomplished by using a wired ear bud or
headphone connected to a USB sound card. The USB sound card can be
purchased for about 7 dollars from most places. Basically, you connect
the USB device to your computer and it becomes your primary sound card.
Connect a headphone or ear bud to this sound card and then tell Jaws to
use it. Next, choose your default sound output from the Windows settings
so that the USB device is not the default. Now when you share a window
like a Youtube video or document, it will be done by way of the computer
sound system, and this way, your screen reader is kept separate. It
sounds more complicated than what it is and I'm not doing this justice
by explaining it the way I have, but it can work, and it works very
nice. I do this all the time when playing our Presidential Releases to
our Houston chapter meetings on Zoom. I also do this when sharing other
audio from Youtube and other related audio and video.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
*Raul A. Gallegos* / President
National Association of Guide Dog Users, /NAGDU/
346.439.7444 | RGallegos at nagdu.org <mailto:rgallegos at nagdu.org>
Subscribe to the NAGDU Public Events Calendar Here
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/nagdu.org_7eopjofhnd4968m46rcmgrck0s%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics>
Schedule a 30-minute Zoom meeting with me here
<https://app.greminders.com/c/rgatechsolutions/r30/>
Join NAGDU on Facebook <https://m.facebook.com/groups/nagdu> | Follow
NAGDU on Twitter <https://twitter.com/nagdu>

"Blindness is a characteristic, not a handicap." -- Dr. Kenneth Jernigan