[BlindTlk] What happens to people that are born blind when they become adults? I need to be this specific.

Ericka dotwriter1 at gmail.com
Mon May 17 20:02:11 UTC 2021

I don’t really know. Perhaps the Janesville one and the Milwaukee one. I know the chapter in Madison doesn’t do anything but we have a new president so I’m very much hoping that things will be different. We have only a few chapters in Wisconsin now which is sad. Five and three of them are in cities/counties where there’s already pretty good services or at least services.

Such a tragedy since Wisconsin was one of the states that helped begin the NFB. But then again we really don’t have any ACB chapters either so that’s why the state is in such disrepair when it comes to Blind rehabilitation. Pretty much the only fighters for the find are the advocacy day done by the Wisconsin Council of the blind and Madison. Some independent living centers have these kinds of mentoring programs but they are not designed for a blind person mentoring another blind person. And they do not do advocacy generally for us. They’re trying to help a wide variety of disabilities.

It’s pretty lonely going things alone around here. Most of the chapters I have noticed are more into socialization with each other than anything else. I think Milwaukee is the biggest and strongest chapter which is most representative of the NFB. Moving to Janesville soon so I’ll check out Janesville. Or I know Dave Hyde will email me and correct me off list. LOL yes Dave today you’re getting The opportunity to pick on Chad and I more constantly.

Ericka Nelson