[BlindTlk] [BlTlk] Using your cane

Judy Jones sonshines59 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 20:08:04 UTC 2022

Hi, Madison,

Like anything, the only way to get comfortable is through use.

I'm not sure how things are done now, but when I was in middle-school, there was a required minimum number of hours necessary, just like having to meet the required number of hours a teen needs in a driving permit before they can take the test.

The "test" after you completed your hours, was to be dropped off at a location and meet the instructor at another designated point. The instructor would purposely drive a circuitous route before dropping you off, so you couldn't guess where you were being taken. By that time, students had enough mobility skills to arrive safely at the destination given by the instructor. You're reward was your own cane, and the adrenaline rush you would get for being independent.

I loved being able to go shopping by myself, going to the 711 for junk food, or going to McDonalds by myself, or going to get my hair done, or visit friends living within walking distance of our house.

When I was still at home with my parents on college breaks, they were great about dropping me off or picking me up if I wasn't within walking distance of the house, we had no bus transportation.