[BlindTlk] Is Slack an accessible platform with Jaws?

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Sat Aug 20 21:21:08 UTC 2022

When changing versions of jaws, two show stopper problems can happen if
jaws works at all.  A new computer with a video driver fs knows nothing
about can be a problem since jaws is video driver sensitive.  No such
problem with window-eyes and I expect no such problem with nvda.  That is
one show stopper.  The second show stopper can happen when a binary built
for an earlier version of jaws is all that's available and the source code
got lost and is no longer available so it's impossible to compile the
source for the shiny new version of jaws just installed on a machine.  At
different times during my career I encountered both of these show
stoppers.  Jaws cannot work with oracle forms since the source code for
the jaws support package is no longer available and that cut me out of
lots of work I could have been doing.  So jaws prevented access rather
than made it possible.  A newer version of jaws had information on a video
driver that was on the refurbished machine the navy gave me to use.
Unfortunately, the Navy version of jaws was one version behind and didn't
know anything about that driver.  So me and the help desk staff put a call
into fs and we downloaded the current version temporarily and saved the
video drivers from that version then deleted the current version so the
older navy version of jaws could work.
I have no idea if nvda could have run oracle forms accessibly and I'm
rather certain nobody working for D.O.D. has got an answer to that
question to this day or will ever get an answer to that question.

Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com> "There are four boxes to be used in
defense of liberty:
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)

.