[BlindTlk] A Different Kind of 2 Factor Authentication

Raul Gallegos - NAGDU rgallegos at nagdu.org
Sun Aug 21 19:03:57 UTC 2022

Hi, for those who don't know what 2FA is, in short, it's where you sign
into an app, program, or service with what you know and what you have.
In most cases, you already know your password. Now, with 2FA, you also
add in what you have, i.e. a physical device like a smart phone, tablet,
third-party computer, or physical key.

The one you describe sounds like the prompt kind of 2FA and it has been
used by Microsoft, Google, and many others for years. In fact, right
now, Google uses it a lot if you sign into a new device that Google
doesn't recognize, one of the second authentication methods is to send a
prompt to another signed in device via a Google program like the Google
search app, Duo, Gmail, YouTube, or many others that Google owns. The
idea behind this second step of using what you have is that if your
password is stolen, and someone attempts to sign in with it, unless they
have your physical device, they will not be able to get in. Now, many
scammers will try to get around this by signing into an account, let's
say Amazon, and when Amazon sends you a code to your real number, the
scammers might also send you a text message, saying, we are Amazon and
we are trying to prevent you from getting hacked. Please provide us with
the code you just received and we will protect you.

In short, unless you know you are signing into an account with 2FA, or
unless you are having someone do it for you, never ever give out codes
of any kind.

Now, as for the answer to this question, I think this is great to use a
prompt-based 2FA. The trick is, is the app itself accessible? If it is
the Google, Microsoft, or Authy app, they are for sure accessible. If
it's some kind of third-party home-grown app, then who knows. Most
likely, if you can get to the Yes, or access prompt, you will be fine.

Good luck, and I'm glad to see more and more security measures
happening. Personally, I can't wait for the password to become obsolete.

On 8/20/2022 4:40 PM, Peter Donahue via BlindTlk wrote:

> Good afternoon everyone,
>

>                  We recently learned of a newer form of Two Factor
> Authentication being implemented where
>
> my wife Mary works. Traditionally when 2FA is used one is sent a
> verification code to the device of their
>
> choice, usually a smartphone, which they must enter into a field on the app
> or Website's login screen to
>
> gain access to the application or Website. In the new 2FA scheme being
> implemented by Mary's employer an app
>
> is installed onto one's smartphone to approve the login. When the employee
> brings the login screen on
>
> their computer they type in their credential's usually their password and
> are prompted to press OK to
>
> move to the next step in the procedure. The employee must then hit the
> approve button in the app
>
> installed on their smartphone to gain access to the application.
>

>                  We like this approach to 2FA as it saves one from having to
> wait to receive a verification code
>
> and having to enter it into the login field on their screen. We're curious
> to know which companies use
>
> this kind of Two Factor Authentication and if the apps work well with screen
> readers in this case
>
> Voiceover.
>

>                  Mary told me that the IT folks where she works wanted to be
> sure this approach to 2FA would
>
> work for her before installing the app on her iPhone. I told her that the
> best way to find out is simply to
>
> try it. If anyone has had experience with this new form of 2FA we want to
> hear from you and will pass on
>
> your encouragement to her IT folks so they can know that this system is
> being used successfully by other
>
> blind folks and they need not worry about it not working out. Thanks for
> your help.
>

> Peter Donahue

Respectfully,
*Raul A. Gallegos* / President
National Association of Guide Dog Users, /NAGDU/
346.439.7444 | RGallegos at nagdu.org <mailto:rgallegos at nagdu.org>
Subscribe to the NAGDU Public Events Calendar Here
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/nagdu.org_7eopjofhnd4968m46rcmgrck0s%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics>
Schedule a 30-minute Zoom meeting with me here
<https://app.greminders.com/c/rgatechsolutions/nagdu/>
Join NAGDU on Facebook <https://m.facebook.com/groups/nagdu> | Follow
NAGDU on Twitter <https://twitter.com/nagdu>
"Blindness is a characteristic, not a handicap." -- Dr. Kenneth Jernigan