[BlindTlk] Questions About Online Dating as a Blind Person

Judy Jones sonshines59 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 22:05:09 UTC 2022

Hi, Humberto,

I have never participated in anything like this, but I would say that your blindness doesn't define who you are.  I wouldn't worry so much about the blindness aspect.  Find someone who matches with your hobbies, likes, dislikes.  People are going to reject a person for any number of reasons, and it doesn't matter which, as long as you set boundaries and walk into this experience with eyes wide open.  Don't worry about rejects, but focus on the attractions.  If someone rejects you, it is their loss.

The big danger I would think is that what you see on the Internet may be a far cry from a real representation of the person, considering what people can do with apps such as photoshop, voice manipulation and such.

Personally, I would not participate in online matches, but I know of people who have been successful.

Our daughter found her husband online, and they have been happily married for several years.

I would just say have your personal boundaries established, and, as I said, keep your eyes open and know what you are getting into.