[BlindTlk] Welcome to Earth, More Like Eric

pmdonahue2 at gmail.com pmdonahue2 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 21:31:18 UTC 2023

Good afternoon everyone,

	If Eric was dragged up the mountain the NFB would have had a serious credibility problem. If anything we need more successful blind roll models like him who are not just mountaineers but who participate in other pursuits and who earn a place on various programs. I tried golf when I was growing up. I knew that blind people played golf during that time. Sadly none of the schools or agencies for the blind made a strong effort to encourage their students and consumers to participate in this sport. I suggested on the NFB's Sports and Recreation List that this organization work to promote golf and other sports and pursuits to more blind people. It would be neat if in the near future we see blind golfers playing in the Masters. Will some idiot say that they were drug around the golf course? Perhaps some blind person could be motivated to open their own golf resort. This is not the NFB we've belonged to for many years. It's time that the ideas some of us shared were taken seriously and acted upon by this organization. I'm sure there are others who have made similar suggestions only to have them fall on deaf ears.

	Recall last year when the blind person set a new world speed record for the fastest time achieved driven by a blind race car driver. Will some federationist or other blind persons say that a sighted person drove the car for him? We sure hope not. Go Eric and others who follow in his heals!

Peter Donahue