[BlindTlk] what the transcribers won't use

Donald Winiecki dwiniecki at handid.org
Wed Feb 8 13:20:31 UTC 2023

The "Braille formats" document
<https://www.brailleauthority.org/braille-formats-principles-print-braille-transcription-2016>
specifies several different ways of formatting tables in braille. That
document is considered authoritative in North America when formatting print
materials into braille. Formatting documents according to these guidelines
reinforces general readability for broad audiences. There are parallel but
different formatting standards in other countries and regions, though not
all countries have such a formatting guide.

Considering the above, and what it's worth, as I read Jude's message I
thought that the "stairstep" format would be appropriate for such a large
table.

However, I think we should not ignore the kinds of formatting innovations
being mentioned in this thread! A transcriber working with an individual or
organization who/which has specific preferences can incorporate those
preferences.

Best,

DON WINIECKI