[BlindTlk] [BlTlk] handwriting idea

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Sat Jan 14 04:01:55 UTC 2023

I learned printed letters long before handwriting.  My mother bought me an
alphabet ashtray that had the raised capital letters on and around the
rim.  When I was at overbrook School For The Blind, I could read by touch
the raised letter plaques on the walls.  On a field trip we went to
Washington's Crossing and I started reading aloud the letters carved into
the monument and that surprised many people.  High School education
included cursive which I replaced with the marks method at A.E.B. and went
on from there.  Learning to read with the optacon wasn't all that
difficult with the background I had in reading printed letters.
One thing to read in libraries with an optacon are caligraphy books.
Those have much more than cursive in them and writing was lots easier to
read scanning over the samples that came before cursive.  Spencerian
a.k.a. stovepipe was one easy example.

Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com> "There are four boxes to be used in
defense of liberty:
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)

.