[BlindTlk] Pdf files

Humberto Avila humberto_avila.it104 at outlook.com
Thu Jun 8 03:23:46 UTC 2023

Hello Jamelle,

I would say that not all .PDF files are fillable with a screen reader.
There are 3 types of PDFs in this world. the first one is the super
awesome one where you can use your commands like E (for edit box), F
(for formfield), X (for checkbox), and so forth. This is the most
accessible way to fill in a PDF form and many times, sadly, PDFs don't
usually come that way. Which leads me to the second type of PDF which is
the one that allows you to read everything on the document, but there's
no formfields to fill out even though there are underscors and lines
that you can fill out, technically a sighted person can printout and
fill out.

My third type of PDF is the one no screen reader user likes, at all, and
which there are so many of them circulating around, and this is the
ugly, unreadable, stress-inducing, inaccessible image pdf. this is the
type where someone just takes a picture of printed pages with whatever
it is, or puts pages through a photocopier, and then generates a PDF of
that. UGHGHGH 🥹

So, anyways, going back to your question, depending on what kind of PDF
it is, you may be able to work it out and we can help you with. One
thing I do with either the second or third type of PDF files is to use
the JAWS OCR functionality which allows me to convert the file into an
accessible .DOCS Microsoft Word document. that way, I can manipulate it,
format it, and fill out any forms within, print it, and even put my
signature inline as a graphic in the document! the only tradeoff is that
yes, as someone else mentioned -- you'll lose the formatting of the
original document and I have had experiences where I fill out a form
that I feel I did it right and then they tell me that they can't accept
it because it's not the originally formated document.

So yeah...... hope this helps a bit.