[Blindvet-talk] eRumor continues to make the rounds for almost a decade

LJH Funpro at carolina.rr.com
Mon May 4 15:54:39 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: LJH
To: abrcaalist at yahoogroups.com ;
Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2009 4:00 PM
Subject: [abrcaalist] eRumor continues to make the rounds

As noted below, this same email has been circulating since 2001 and although
we had little control over the world,guess it is one explaination for the
way the nation was going  between  2001 and 2008

      A Movie Coming Out in 2001 Features a Gay Jesus-Fiction!

      Summary of the eRumor:
      This email encourages people to add their names to the bottom of a
list and circulate it sort of like a petition around the Internet. It's
designed to protest a movie that is described as coming out in 2001 which
says that Jesus and his disciples were gay. It says the movie has been
successfully banned in some European countries.

      Update 5/11/01: There is a new version of this eRumor circulating that
says the name of the movie is going to be Corpus Christi, the same name as a
play about a gay Jesus.

      The Truth:
      There was no movie released in 2001 that we can find featuring a gay
Jesus or gay disciples.

      The 2001 eRumor appeared to be a new, Internet version of a older
rumor we investigated in 1986 when an article in a magazine in the state of
Illinois in the United States claimed such a film was being proposed. The
movie project was authentic, but never got off the ground. A rumor about the
movie was circulated far and wide, however, and multitudes of letters were
received by an Illinois state agency which, for some reason, became the
focus of the protest. The movie never had anything to do with Illinois but
had merely been mentioned in a publication from Illinois. The rumor as it is
appeared on the Net was very weak, lacking specific information as to who
was producing the movie or where anyone could write to effectively protest
it.

      Additionally, the encouragement to add a name to the list and forward
the email is useless. Who is going to send the final version and to whom?

      There was a stage play titled "Corpus Christi", written by Terrence
McNally, that created controversy wherever it was presented. It featured a
lead character with the name Joshua, which is a variation of the name Jesus.
In the play, Joshua is a young gay man who fled form his home town of Corpus
Christi, Texas, because of persecution over being homosexual. He returns,
assembles a group of disciples, with whom he has sex, faces violent
opposition, is betrayed by his friend Judas, and is crucified.

      According to the Internet Movie Database (IMDB) there was a film that
was released in 1997 by the title of "Corpus Christi" but it was not based
ont the McNally stage play but it was, in fact, a French documentary on
Jesus that featured interviews of scientists, theologians and archeologists.
Click for IMDB report.

      updated 02/14/09

      A real example of the eRumor as it has appeared on the Internet:
      Version 1 (2001)

      MOVIE COMING OUT SAYING JESUS WAS GAY!

      I can't believe it. There is a movie that is coming out in 2001 saying
Jesus and his disciples were gay!
      There is already a play that went on for a while, but never stopped!
Maybe we can all do something! Please send this to ALL of your friends to
sign to stop the movie from coming out. Already
      certain areas in Europe have started to ban it from coming to their
      country and we can stop it too! We just need a lot of signatures and
you can help!

      Please do not delete this! Deleting it will show your lack of faith
and a lack of respect for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who died for us!

      Please help!

      SIGN AND SEND TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW! PLEASE. IF WE WORK TOGETHER WE CAN
BAN THIS! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      TYPE OUR NAME AT THE END OF THE OTHER NAMES LIST.
      THEN SEND THIS LETTER ON TO ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS AND CHURCH MEMBERS AND
PASTORS, NEWSPAPERS, TV STATIONS ANDY INTERNET SITE WITH AN EMAIL ADDRESS
SUCH AS CNN, NBC, CBS, ETC.

      JUST SENDING TO PEOPLE AND FRIENDS YOU KNOW WILL NOT HELP.

      SEND TO THE MEDIA ... THE PLACE WHERE MOST OF THWE WORLDS PROBLEMS
START!

      LYNNE

      LET IT KNOWN THAT WE THE FOLLOWING PEOPLE ARE ADAMANTLY AGAINST ANY
MOVIE OR MEDIA ATTEMPT TO PORTRAY OUR SAVIOR, JESUS CHRIST, OR ANY OF HIS
      DECIPLES AS GAY. WE HEREBY DEMAND THAT THIS MOVIE BE BANNED FROM OUR
STATE AND FROM THIS COUNTRY AND HEREBY STATE THAT WE WILL BOYCOTT ANY
THEATRES OR
      PRODUCTION COMPANIES WHO WOULD DARE SHOW SUCH A MOVIE AS VILE AND
IRREVERANT AS THIS. WE WILL ALSO STATE HEREIN THAT WE WILL NEVER AGAIN VOTE
FOR ANY POLITICIAN WHO WOULD SUPPORT SUCH A BLASPHEMOUS THING. BE YE WARNED
OF OUR POSITION ON THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Version 2 (2009)

      The movie Corpus Christi is due to be released this June to August.

      I totally agree with the message below.

      Let's stand for what we believe in and stop the mockery of Jesus
Christ our Savior. Where do we stand as Christians?

      At the risk of a bit of inconvenience, I'm forwarding this to all I
think would appreciate it too. Please help us prevent
      such offenses against our Lord. It will take you less than 2 minutes!

      If you are not interested, and do not have the 2 Minutes it will take
to do this, please don't complain when God does not have time for you,
because He is far busier than we are. A disgusting film set to appear in
America later  this year depicts Jesus and his disciples as homosexuals! As
a play, this  has already  been in theatres for a while. It's called Corpus
Christi ' which means 'The Christ Body.' It's revolting mockery of our Lord.
But we can make a difference. That's why I am sending this e-mail to  you.
If you do send this around, we will be able to prevent this film
      from showing in   America and South Africa.

      Hey, it's worth a shot! Apparently, some regions in Europe have
already banned the film. All we need is a lot of prayer and a lot of
e-mails.

      Remember, Jesus said 'Deny Me on earth and I'll deny you before my
Father'