[Blindvet-talk] National Association of Blind Veterans Meeting at National Convention

randolphc@kbti.org Cabral randolphc at kbti.org
Fri May 28 16:50:25 UTC 2010

Dear Mister Advocate,

For the past few years our Institute has looked at developing ways to
better serve and interact with members of the National Association of Blind
Veterans.  A couple years ago we were invited to attend but were later
contacted and advised it would not be necessary after all.

I came to be involved with the NABV by virtue of my father, now deceased,
who was a blind WWII veteran.  Since 2005 I have been traveling around the
United States attending veterans groups meeting and events, blind and
sighted, and presenting the Braille American Flag to these men and women.

For those who are not familiar with the Braille American Flag, it is a
tactile representation of the American flag, that denotes the location of
the stars and stripes, as well as their individual color.  The Braille flag
also bears the Pledge of Allegiance.  As of 2008, through the authorization
of the United States Congress a bronze monument of the Braille American
Flag has been installed at Arlington National Cemetery, as a tribute to
blind veterans of all wars, and other blind Americans.  Similar bronze
monuments, several sit in stone, have been erected at various locations in
Kansas, and now one in Nebraska, compliments of the VFW.

I was pleased to read the other day the post regarding Captains Smiley,
Ivan Castro, and the other blind veterans that sacrificed their sight in
the protection of our nation's freedoms, and are still active in uniform.
I did not have the pleasure of meeting Captain Smiley in person, but, I did
speak with him by phone some time back, during the time we presented him
with a Braille American Flag.  Captain Castro I have personally met more
than once, and have on both occasions presented him with a Braille American
Flag.

My reason for mentioning all of this is because realizing the impossibility
of our Institute presenting a Braille American Flag to all our nation's
blind veterans and civilians we reached out for help from the American
Legion.  We had to follow protocol and draft a resolution which we did with
the help of a local Post, and initially submitted it for vote at the
American Legion's District Convention.  Once that passed, and it did, we
submitted it for vote at the Legions' State Convention.  Last week at the
convention it also passed.  Next and final stop is the National
Convention.

In the event the resolution passes at the National level the American
Legion can authorize one of two approaches to responding, one, they can do
so administratively by "allowing any Post that wishes to participate in
obtaining a Braille flag or flags to do so at their own accord".  Or, two,
they can "mandate" that all Post accept the Braille American Flag as a
project whereby each Post would obtain a certain number of Braille American
Flags and include them in their American Flag Presentations at schools and
other events, as well as taking them to VA hospitals, presenting them to
our nation's service men and women who have given their sight in combat, or
have lost their sight by other means, just as many law enforcement offices,
firemen, and others have, as well as presenting them to elected officials
who work on behalf of legislation for our disabled veterans, such as
Sharrod Brown of Ohio, who was recently presented with a framed Braille
American Flag by the Blinded Veterans Association.  Too the Braille
American Flags can be provided to businesses that support the rights and
needs of persons who are blind or have some degree of vision loss.  In
short, they can include the Braille American Flag in any project they wish
to develop.

Our Institute welcomes the support of the National Association of Blind
Veterans with letting the American Legion Post in your areas as well as up
at National Headquarters know that you too think this is a very worth while
project, and you commend them on taking the initiative in this endeavor.

If any one reading this would like to present a framed Braille American
Flag to the American Legion State Commander in your state please let us
know, and we will personally frame it and prepare it for you, or send it in
your name, at no cost to you.  It is our intent to send one to every State
Commander throughout the United States.   We are also looking to send one
to every U.S. Congressman and Congresswomen and U.S. Representative, asking
them too to let the American Legion know what their sentiments are about
the Legion taking a serious look at this project.

If you or someone you know would like to assist us or give us any
suggestions we would be most indebted to you for your help.  In the event
the National Headquarters votes favorably, this could mean that many blind
veterans and blind civilians will have their own Braille American Flag at
no cost.  The normal cost is $5.00 per Flag.  These flags are 7.5 by 9.5
inches, in full color, and bear the Pledge of Allegiance in either grade
one or grade two Braille.  The Braille American Flag follows all rules set
out by the Braille Authority of North America.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and thank you for your service
to our country.  Your service and sacrifice made it possible be me to send
this E-mail.

Very sincerely ,

Randolph Cabral, President
Kansas Braille Transcription Institute
P.O. Box 48091
Wichita, Kansas 67201-8091
316-265-9692  (Office)  9:00 AM - 5:00CST
316-265-0184  (Fax)
randolphc at kbti.org
 www.kbti.org

"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." -- Helen Keller