[Blindvet-talk] Deploy Cindy Williams to the Middle East or Afghanistan with Military Pay

NABlindVets at aol.com NABlindVets at aol.com
Wed Jan 22 16:52:53 UTC 2014

I am mad as hell!!! Read on!
Military  Pay

CINDY WILLIAMS  was appointed by Obama as an Assistant Director for
NATIONAL SECURITY in the  Congressional Budget Office.....

This is an  Airman's response to Cindy Williams' editorial piece in the
Washington Times  about MILITARY PAY, it should be printed in all newspapers
across America.

Ms. Cindy William  wrote a piece for the Washington Times denouncing the
pay raise(s) coming  service members' way this year citing that she stated a
13% wage increase  was more than they deserve.

A young airman  from Hill AFB responds to her article below.  He ought to
get a bonus  for this.

"MS Williams:

I just had the  pleasure of reading your column, "Our GI's earn enough”,
and I am a bit  confused.  Frankly, I'm wondering where this vaunted
overpayment is  going, because as far as I can tell, it disappears every month
between DFAS  (The Defense Finance and Accounting Service) and my bank account.
Checking my latest earnings statement I see that I make $1,117.80 before
taxes per month.  After taxes, I take home $874.20.  When I run  that through
the calculator, I come up with an annual salary of $13,413.60  before taxes,
and $10,490.40 after.

I work in the Air  Force Network Control Center where I am part of the team
responsible for a  5,000 host computer network.  I am involved with
infrastructure  segments, specifically with Cisco Systems equipment.  A quick check
 under jobs for "Network Technicians" in the Washington , D.C. Area reveals
a  position in my career field, requiring three years™ experience in my
job.  Amazingly, this job does NOT pay $13,413.60 a year.  No,  this job is
being offered at $70,000 to $80,000 per annum............. I'm  sure you can
draw the obvious conclusions.

Given the tenor  of your column, I would assume that you NEVER had the
pleasure of serving  your country in her armed forces.

Before you take  it upon yourself to once more castigate congressional and
DOD leadership for  attempting to get the families in the military's lowest
pay brackets off of  WIC and food stamps, I suggest that you join a group of
deploying soldiers  headed for AFGHANISTAN; I leave the choice of service
branch up to  you.  Whatever choice you make though, opt for the SIX month
rotation:  it will guarantee you the longest possible time away from your
family and  friends, thus giving you full "deployment experience."

As your group  prepares to board the plane, make sure to note the spouses
and children who  are saying good-bye to their loved ones.  Also take care to
note that  several families are still unsure of how they'll be able to make
ends meet  while the primary breadwinner is gone.  Obviously they've been
squandering the "vast" piles of cash the government has been giving them.

Try to deploy  over a major holiday; Christmas and Thanksgiving are
perennial  favorites.  And when you're actually over there, sitting in a foxhole,
shivering against the cold desert night, and the flight sergeant tells you
that there aren't enough people on shift to relieve you for chow, remember
this: trade whatever MRE's (meal-ready-to-eat) you manage to get for the
tuna noodle casserole or cheese tortellini, and add Tabasco to  everything.
This gives some flavor.

Talk to your  loved ones as often as you are permitted; it won't be nearly
long enough or  often enough, but take what you can get and be thankful for
it.  You  may have picked up on the fact that I disagree with most of the
points you  present in your open piece.

But, tomorrow  from KABUL, I will defend to the death your right to say it.

You see, I am an  American fighting man, a guarantor of your First
Amendment right and every  other right you cherish...On a daily basis, my brother
and sister soldiers  worldwide ensure that you and people like you can thumb
your collective  noses at us, all on a salary that is nothing short of
pitiful and under  conditions that would make most people cringe.  We hemorrhage
our best  and brightest into the private sector because we can't offer the
stability  and pay of civilian companies.

And you, Ms.  Williams, have the gall to say that we make more than we
deserve?  What  do you think someone should be paid to defend your life, and the
life of  your family?

A1C Michael  Bragg, Hill AFB AFNCC

Dwight D. Sayer
President,
The National Association of blind  Veterans
_www.nabv.org_ (http://www.nabv.org/)