[Blindvet-talk] We Have Lost Another HERO!

NABlindVets at aol.com NABlindVets at aol.com
Fri May 15 16:50:57 UTC 2015

My fellow Veterans, Friends and  Associates,
It is with a sad heart that I must  tell you of the  passing  of our NABV
First Vice President Clarence Eugene Huggins of Sumter  South Carolina this
morning about 8am . Gene as he liked to be called  was  a gregarious tall man
who lost his sight due to diabetes which was a direct  result of his
military service in Viet Nam and his exposure to Agent Orange.  Gene was a guide
dog user and his partner Mac was as  bodacious as his  master. I once got a
picture of Gene  next to a motorcycle with side car in  Atlanta Georgia
during the NFB convention there and his guide dog Mac was  sitting in the
motorcycles sidecar . Those who could see the picture told me  they both were
smiling. At this time I don’t have any information about the  arrangements  for
Gene’s burial, but as soon as I have some information I  will pass it along.
Gene’s daughter Tanis said she thought his wishes were to be  buried at
the Fort Jackson National Cemetary in Columbia South Carolina.  Gene was a
great friend and I am going to miss him terribly, and his shoes will  be hard
to fill as his replacement  is sought  for the National  Association of Blind
Veterans.
Dwight Sayer
President
NABV