[blparent] Screeching!

Robert Shelton rshelton1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 03:52:19 UTC 2008

Twenty-odd years ago, I was standing in our kitchen, speaking with my soon
to be foster son in law.  He was an engineering grad student at the place
where I was teaching.  About that time, my fourth, Brian, two at the time,
came tearing through at full volume.  He just hit that perfect resonance --
ear-splitting howl which echoed off the walls in a glorious fashion.  I
remember pausing my conversation with Michael, and then picking right back
up after my ears stopped ringing.  He looked at me for a few seconds and
said "Those four boys left you with some serious nerve damage."  Well, I
guess they did, but it was only a few years later that Michael had a couple
of his own -- and so it goes.

Bottom line, it's more or less normal, and the less attention you pay, the
better everybody sleeps.  My theory -- if it's not toxic, expensive, sharp,
or on fire,
screw it, let things take care of themselves.