[blparent] chasing toddlers

K C kcc86 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 3 06:54:30 UTC 2008

Hi, Eva.  Well my daughter didn't run from me, but when she was 15 months
old I laced small bells into her shoes.  Since they were tightly woven into
her shoe strings she couldn't get them out.  They became toys she'd play
with, and I knew where ever she was in the house.  If your girl is still in
dipers/training pants that plastic can also tell you where your girl is.
Does your daughter run from you two in the house, or out in public.  If
she's in the house, let her run.  If she needs you, or gets into trouble
she'll undoubtedly runn right back for help, assuming you've created a safe
environment for her to run, and play in.

In public, if she is still small, and nonverbal they've got backpack baby
carriers you can buy that will keep her close to you for the duration of
your shopping trips, and other business without worry.  But if she is verbal
enough for you two to understand I'd begin teaching her the difference
between being confind/keeping her safe, vss letting her runn/demanding
she'll run back to you at your call.  In other words, "I'll let you run free
as much as you'd like in a controled environment if when I call you, you
return to me without hesitation.  It's up to you the environment.  My
daughter is seven, and still loves the shopping carts that have the plastic
car on the front.  lol!

It is amazing how savy even the youngest Toddlers are, and just how much
they truely understand.  Also you might try telling her you need her helping
hand as you go through stores, and other public places.  Let her think she
is leading one of you through a door way, on to an Elivater/escaloter, etc.
It will give her a sense of importance, and teach her that she can be
helpfull to her parents without keeping her from being a toddler.  I hope
this all helps.

Kijuana