[blparent] helping with geography

Eileen eileenlevin at comcast.net
Wed Nov 5 02:27:06 UTC 2008

My first reaction would be to go to google and start searching til I
found a useful tutorial or map with explanations.  After surfing the net
I find so many people willing to explain something in a way that I can
actually understand. Text books in America are so intent on making money
and abiding by the state requirements that they over look the fact that
they are supposed to teach something.

My son's teacher is using a book in his kindergarten class, "Fast Start
for Early readers."  For the life of me I don't see how circling all the
instances of the word bake in the poem Patty Cake is supposed to teach
him to read. It seems more like busy work to me.  The website "Learn to
Read at Star Fall" has a much better handle on teaching reading though
it is not really accessible to the blind.
Eileen