[blparent] helpful tip for spoon feeding

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at pcdesk.net
Thu Nov 13 19:09:17 UTC 2008

Hi.  I know many of you are past the spoon feeding stage, but there are some new moms and moms-to-be on the list, so I thought I'd share a recent discovery.  Maybe everybody else has figured it out already, and I'm just slow.  But I've found that pureed baby food is much easier to feed when I thicken it up with a tablespoon or two of baby oatmeal or rice cereal.  When I thicken it just enough so that it stays on an infant spoon, it's about the texture of pudding, and the baby can still get it in her mouth and swallow it.  It's easier to get the right amount on the spoon and not lose half of it on its way to its destination.  I have a lot less mess to clean up, plus she's getting some of her cereal at the same time.  She's eating pureed, organic fruits and veggies now, and I'm moving into the less finely pureed stuff as well.  Good luck, hope this might help some of you because I know spoon feeding can be frustrating.  I used to dread it till I discovered this trick, but now it's easy and even fun to see my baby enjoying her different foods.

Jo Elizabeth

It is easy--terribly easy--to shake a man's faith in himself. To take advantage of that to break a man's spirit is devil's work. Take care of what you are doing. Take care.--George Bernard Shaw in "Candide"