[blparent] Questions on Children's Computer Use

Thea Eaton thea at doodledoo.com
Mon Apr 6 02:36:09 UTC 2009

Hi Eileen,

Yes, this is a big issue, we have had quite a few discussions with blind
parents who are trying to access Flash children's sites too, to help their
children access the sites. Many educational children's sites also have a
parents/teachers section, that should have been made accessible for screen
readers. We are aware that there are very few Flash websites accessible at
all, it is an emerging technology and people are generally not aware of its
potential. We are trying to change that, by writing several case studies,
developing different accessible templates for Flash games, giving workshops
and writing a developer's guide for other developers on accessible Flash.
Flash is notoriously inaccessible, but can be made very accessible with the
right programming.

The survey we sent out has questions specifically on children's early
computer use, children who might be of pre-reading age and children who are
not yet able to use a screen reader, either due to not being able to find
certain keys on the keyboard yet or because of the learning curve that the
screen reader software brings. We were wondering at what age children start
to use assistive technologies and what some of the challenges are that come
with that. We were wondering if there are any children trying to access
Flash sites without assistive technologies by pressing the Tab and Enter
keys, for example.

But if you are a parent, that has had difficulty accessing a certain
website, we would ask for you to write down the experience, and the URL to
that website. With that, we would try to contact the company and inform them
of the ways that their Flash content can be made accessible with the right
programming to parents and children. We are actually doing this right now
with the H-E-Buddy site, the children's site for H-E-B that is currently
inaccessible for both parents and children.

I would like to thank everyone that has already filled out the survey for
their children, the feedback that we are receiving is already helping us
tremendously!

Thea Eaton