[blparent] coloring eggs

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at pcdesk.net
Mon Apr 6 23:01:53 UTC 2009

I was reading the other day that Americans buy 20 million more eggs for
Easter than they do in any other week of the year.  Poultry raisers actually
increase production about six weeks ahead of time by manipulating the light
received by the hens so that they think that a day and night passes in eight
hours, and so each hen lays three eggs instead of one in a 24-hour period
during the six weeks before Easter.  I thought that was really interesting.

Jo Elizabeth

"Don't throw away the old bucket until you know whether the new one holds
water."--Swedish proverb