[blparent] Seeking parents who are blind and who adopted

Pickrell, Rebecca M (IS) REBECCA.PICKRELL at ngc.com
Mon Aug 31 19:51:20 UTC 2009

A couple thoughts here;
1. It sounds like you want a child past the toddler phase, one who can
walk and talk reliably and who is also blind/ has low vision. This is a
tall order, there just not be that many children up for adoption
matching that criteria.
I'm curious as to why you think this is a discriminatory blindness
issue?
2. Have you asked a social worker you trust to do some dry-run
interviews with you? It might be that you are or are not saying
something that is giving somebody the willies, something like "We want
an older child because we don't want to get up at night with a baby." or
"we want an older child because we need a child to talk so we know what
he/she needs".
You are to be commended for your honesty in your openness in wanting to
be more then a medical guardian.
I'd be curious to know why you want a blind or low-vision child? All
children need loving homes. Why are blind or low vision kids of special
concern to you?
There is a blind couple Buddy and Melanie Brennan who have adopted a
child from the Ukraine. I don't know if their daughter is blind or not.
I don't have Buddy's email address, but he is on the NAGDU list. Perhaps
you can Google for him and send him a note.
Good luck to you.