[blparent] Transporting children

Karla Hudson HudsonKC at msu.edu
Mon Aug 31 20:40:37 UTC 2009

Hi List,

A question about having others transport your children.  My husband and I
are both blind and have two kids.  What do those of you who both parents do
not drive think about others transporting your kids? By others I mean
parents of your kids friends.

For instance, one of my kids was invited to a bowling birthday party.  The
mother indicated that she would just swing by and pick my daughter up.  In
the past I have insisted on going with my daughter.  However, as she is
getting older it is not as customary for parents to always attend birthday
events etc.  I am feeling troubled by this as our society has become more
involved in text messaging while driving and talking on cell phones.  There
is just such a level of trust letting others transport your kids.  What do
you all think especially those who do not drive or do not have a driving
person in the home.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.