[blparent] fun stuff for boys

Rhonda Scott earthmagic7 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 10 23:39:45 UTC 2009

It does feel complicated. I have a similar situation with our 10 year old.
He loves war games and anything to do with computer games, TV, Wii, PS2 and
movies. It's difficult to keep his attention, but he says often how he would
like to spend time doing things with us. So we're trying to find things that
are interactive, will pull him away from video games and TV, but will also
hold his attention. All you can do is keep trying, and share your
frustrations with others who understand them. That's where I'm at right now
too.

Deven likes things for a short time, has a lot of broken toys he played too
rough with. That's frustrating too because I have problems buying him new
things when I'm afraid he will destroy them, whether on accident or on
purpose. Kids like expensive things now, so it's hard to justify spending if
it will be broken in a week or 2, plus it hurts our feelings, frustrates us
and makes us angry. But I think there are answers and solutions, we just
need to find them somewhere, somehow.

I really want to show Deven that the blindness thing is not a huge obstacle
in terms of parenting him. All kids will test, and I find myself paying
close attention to him because he tries to test often, doing things he
thinks we won't notice. I want to interact with him more, but I am not the
ball playing type, and I can't throw a frisbee worth beans. I think it's
important for us, here, to show him we are parents, not blind parents, if
that makes sense. But I have turned this into a completely different topic,
I see. LOL

Rhonda