[blparent] it somces closer

Pickrell, Rebecca M (IS) REBECCA.PICKRELL at ngc.com
Tue Dec 15 15:33:12 UTC 2009

I found working with a guide dog very difficult once I had my daughter.
It was fine before she could move, and then the older she got, the
harder it got. She and my dog were very close, too close in that she
would toss food on the floor, and my dog would eat it. Putting the dog
in a different room didn't work because she just wouldn't eat, the she
being my daughter. I found it very difficult to get both the baby and
dog ready and out the door in the morning, and myself too. It drove me
nuts adding the dog's needs into those of my daughter's. There were and
still are times when she only wanted Mommy, and so we'd be cuddling and
I'd think "the dog needs to do park time, when will we be done here".
The whole thing was stressful.
To complicate things, my husband worked the swing shift, so often, it
was myself, my daughter and the dog alone. This doesn't sound bad,
except that there are many activities with a baby you can't stop like
batheing, eating, diaper changing, stuff like that. And sometimes these
activities take longer then others, making the schedule hard to
maintain.
I would get real stressed when my daughter was not feeling well, and I
knew the dog needed to go out and work.
I'd also get stressed when my daughter needed to go to bed and I knew
the dog could use some extra work and I'd have to be home because there
is nothing worse then a tired toddler. My husband wasn't home so it's
not like I could leave my daughter home by herself while I took the dog
out for some extra work.
Also, I found that as my daughter got to walking, she likes to stop and
look at things and talk about them. This frustrated my dog, and I didn't
think it was fair to either hurry my daughter along, or make the dog
stop guiding so we could talk about a firetruck or an airplane flying
overhead or watch the big kids play ball.
I also found that I didn't want to spend time brushing and basically
bonding with my dog after putting my daughter to bed. My mindset was
"Well, I've been with the dog at work all day, I don't want to spend
time with you at night". Not fair, I know, but it was what it was.
Finally, we went through a period where my daughter had an ear infection
about once every two weeks. This earned her a set of ear tubes, but it
took awhile to get that sorted out. Adding a dog's medical needs as well
as my daughter's wore me out.
I decided to retire my dog, and am glad I did. I can focus my energy
more fully on the human members of my family.
I found that when my husband and I'd go out without our daughter, I
wouldn't enjoy working my dog because to me, the same skill set involved
in being  a parent is the same skill set involved with being a good dog
handler. This meant that I felt like I hadn't had any time with my
husband.
Also too, I've found that people are more willing to assist when I'm out
with my daughter. I can remember wanting a high chair at I think
McDonald's and when I asked for one, the lady behind the counter was
like "Won't the dog get that for you". Um, no, she wouldn't. Ditto when
I needed to find an appropriate changing facility, people just expected
the dog to know where that stuff was. I even had someone think my dog
was supposed to calm my daughter down when she was having a huge red
zone tantrum.
I have no idea how I'd wrestle a screaming biting toddler into her
carseat with a dog, you can't let go of the kid ina parking lot, and
letting go of the dog may or may not be a good idea depending on where
you are.
What Eva says about not leaving a dog and baby alone together is true,
but it is also very difficult to manage a dog and young kid together if
you are the only adult involved. At least, this is my experience.
UI'd be curious to know how and why others came to the conclution that
using a dog was something they wanted and/or needed to do.
I'll also say,t hat my husband isn't really a dog person. I knew this
when I married him.
I'll also add that what pet dogs and guide dogs don't equate asa pet dog
isn't responsible for your safety. If the pet eats too much of the wrong
food, and you have a backyard, you can just put the pet outside. Not
such a good idea with a guide dog, or so is my opinion
Michael, your experience may differ being that you're a dad. Also, know
that you can work your dog as normal and if you find it isn't fun or
worthwile anymore, you can always retire the dog. I did and while it was
not easy emotionally, it was also the right choice for myself and my
family at the time I made it.
My daughter and dog are still close. My parents have the dog, and last
time we visited, my mom wanted all the dogs to go outside. My daughter
said "Jersey doesn't want to go outside, Jersey wants to stay here." So
Jersey got to stay in the kitchen with the people.
And, she still hangs out by my daughter who still feeds her when we go
visit.