[blparent] it somces closer

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Wed Dec 16 21:14:18 UTC 2009

Just a couple of thoughts.  First of all, depending on the dog, you can put
the leash between your knees, or around your wrist while putting the baby
into the car seat.  That way you don't have to let go of the dog and you can
still put the baby in the seat yourself.  If all else fails, you can put the
leash around your ankle, though this could be a problem if you forget and
try to walk away like that.  This is what I have done, and it works well.
I'm lucky though to have a very calm dog.  This is probably a solution the
school wouldn't think of.  Second, sometimes you just cannot work a dog,
period.  There are times when your baby is sick and you cannot leave,
period.  Of course it is absolutely ideal that your dog work everyday or
almost everyday, but sometimes this is just not possible.  I play kong with
my dog on those days I can't go out and work her, and/or walk her in the
evening after my husband comes home.  Once in a very great while my husband
walks her for me.  This is only in absolute emergencies when my son simply
won't let me out of his sight and the dog is climbing up the walls.  Is this
ideal, no, probably not, but we don't live in a perfect world by any means.
All any of us can do is do the very best we can.  I equate this with myself
being sick; if I am sick I will probably not take my dog out either for a
workout.  Now, if this is happening extremely often, then it is certainly
worth looking at retiring the dog.  This is such a personal decision!  And
what seems right or fair for one dog owner may not seem right or fair for
another.  I have managed to find a pretty good balance with my dog, but I
know this balance will shift a bit when we have our new baby in May.  So,
again I will find myself asking the same questions and coming to my own
conclusions.
I hope some of this helps.
Melissa