[blparent] Working outside or in the home

Pipi blahblahblah0822 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 03:02:51 UTC 2009

I can give my persoanl opinions on this, but just remember they are my
opinions. I don't want to scare or discourage anyone from using daycare
centers.
I've worked in childcare for 10 years now. And personally, I never want my
daughter to be in a daycare center. and she will never ever go to a home
daycare unless it is a close friend or family member of mine. I have heard
too many stories from friends about bad home daycares. And I've experienced
one with my nephew. We went to pick him up early one day. There was a little
boy who had his leg stuck in one of those floor heating vents. The daycare
provider was telling him to get himself out because it was his fault for
taking the cover off in the first place. I didn't like this. The kid should
have never been able to get it off. It should have been screwed in tightly.
I know accidents happen, but that is rediculous. And the way she handled it
definitely wasn't right. My nephew didn't return to that home daycare. Too
many things can happen when there is only one person about.  I know there
are some great home daycares out there. I'm just not a very trusting person
when it comes to strangers and my daughter. I run my own home daycare now,
so i'm glad there are people that do trust and use them. Call me over
protective I guess.
As for centers, do your homework, and do lots of it. There are lots of
magnificent centers. There are some ok ones. And there are ones that should
have been shut down by the state. I worked in one of the bad ones for less
than a week before I put in my two weeks notice. It was shut down not long
after I left.
The other centers I worked in were pretty good. But even though they are
licensed daycares, rules get broken. Ratios  get exceeded. I quit one of the
other daycares I worked at because I was pretty much taking care of 23, 3
year olds on my own. The other person they hired to help me liked to call in
sick quite a lot. And with budget cuts and all, the center didn't have
enough staff to cover when people called in sick. It's little things like
that, that make me not want my daughter in a daycare.
But again, do your homework. pop in to check out the center at all different
times of the day. Ask any and all questions you can think to ask. Ask them
about ratios and what they do when they are under staffed. Ask about the
foods they serve, nap times, when children are ill, anything and everything
you can think to ask about.  Like I said, there are some great centers out
there. You just have to find them.
As for me, I'm fortunate enough right now that I don't have to put my
daughter in a daycare. And I'm working on making it so I can continue
working from home. This is just my personal preference though. I'm an over
protective mom who didn't ever think she'd be a mom. And I want my miracle
baby happy, healthy, and well taken care of at all times. I don't want to
risk anything. So for now, the only people taking care of her, are myself
and close friends and family.
Pipi