[blparent] (no subject)

Pickrell, Rebecca M (IT) REBECCA.PICKRELL at ngc.com
Tue Feb 10 15:44:49 UTC 2009

Hi Jennifer.
I am Rebecca and husband and I have a soon-to-be two-year-old.
As to your question about daycares, you want to ask yourself the
following;
1. Do you have the temperament to stay home/be with your child all day,
every day? I do not. I tell people that no matter how much I love you, I
do not have it in me to be with you 24/7.
2. If you currently work outside the home, do you enjoy it?
3. Do you need the money, now or in the future?
4. If you can work from home, do you want to? Hubby can at times, and he
does not have the temperament to work from home and do childcare.
5. If you do choose daycare, the daycare center should be totally
transparent with you. They should let you touch everything, and answer
whatever questions you have.
Our daughter is in daycare, and we like it. They do activities wit her,
that we wouldn't think to do. As a friend of mine explained it "Daycare
has a process and a staff, stay-at-home moms do it all".
As with anything, there are good and bad daycares. I highly suggest you
read Gavin Debekcer's book Protecting The Gift. Read the section on
childcare.
Without knowing you, I can't begin to advise in any more detail.
If you are married or have apartner, ask him/her to share their
thoughts.
Ask your mom and dad (assumming your relationship is healthy) and ditto
for your partner's parents. They can offer a good perspective.
Keep in mind, the needs of a newborn are very different from the needs
of a toddler, and it is hard to imagine a sweet cuddly newborn kicking,
biting and screaming "no no no" when they are say eighteen months.
You'll find too, that what works at one point, may or may not work at
another point and you'll need to change plans. Lastly, what you do with
your first child, may or may not be what you do with subsequent
children, or the timing may be different for what you do and when.
Since you've asked this question, I'd advise you to go visit some
daycares in your area and see what you think.