[blparent] Working outside or in the home

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Tue Feb 10 22:06:50 UTC 2009

This is absolutely true...  There are some extremely hard choices, and the
only person who can truly make them is you.  Of course the baby's father
should have a lot to say on the matter as well (smile) but you have to be
comfortable with whatever you decide.  If daycare feels right to you, and
you have work that you love and don't want to give up, then go for it!  Find
a good day care, babysitter, nanny,or whatever and thrive in your work and
being a mother too.  Don't let anyone tell you you're wrong for making that
choice--it is your choice to make.  On the other hand, if you want to stay
home, and/or stay at home and work, then do that.  Again, don't let anyone
look down on you for making that choice.
	I went back to work after my son was 3 months old.  I was working
part time, and I honestly thought this would be the best of both worlds for
me.  I had some days to spend at home with him, and I had my work.  I was a
school counselor, so I knew I would have school breaks, summer vacation,
etc. to spend with him.  I was reasonably satisfied with the day care he was
in.  But, eventually I started to feel I couldn't do either of my jobs well.
I always felt the push and pull--stay late at school and miss time with
Austin, but spend time on my job.  Go right home to pick him up and be
exhausted somedays and feel I wasn't giving him all the attention he needed.
I was counseling everyone else's kids and started to feel bad that my own
wasin day care which, however loving, just wasn't me.  So, at the end of
that school year I quit my job.  I still miss it in some ways, especially
the kids and my coworkers, but I have never really regretted my decision.
	Now that Austin is 2, I have just started putting him in daycare
once a week.  This is because I was recently elected president of the NFB of
Maryland and have to attend a lot of meetings, at least at the moment, for
this position.  I also sell Discovery Toys from home (feel free to email me
off list if you'd like more details it's a great way to earn some extra
money, or even to earn a whole bunch if you want to go that route) and I am
hoping I'll have some time to devote to my business as well.  (So far, that
hasn't happened!)  I certainly had mixed feelings about putting him in day
care.  I really wanted to wiat until he was three and put him in a preschool
program a couple of mornings a week.  But, I also want him to be able to
interact with other children, and I love for him to meet and interact with
new people.  So far, he loves it and has a lot of fun, so I think it's the
right decision.
	Sorry this is so long...  As you can tell, I have some strong
feelings about this!  I guess to sum this all up I just want to say trust
your gut--some moms are thrilled to stay home and some really need the
stimulation work provides, and some need and find ways to do both.  Find
what works for you.  But, also, be flexible and reevaluate as time goes on.
The great thing is most of the time you're not locked into a decision and
you can change things if you find you don't like what you first decided.
Also, in some ways this is a decision you can only truly make after your
baby is born.  You might think you know what you want to do, but babies have
a strange way of changing your whole world and you might be surprised what
you ultimately decide.  Lastly, talk about this with your partner.  I am
lucky to have a husband who supports me in whatever I want to do.  He was
fine with me working, and would support me if I decided to go to work
fulltime tomorrow.  But, he's also glad I stay home, but also encourages me
to find outlets for myself so I don't get stuck in a rut.  Make sure you
have conversations about this issue before the baby is born to make sure you
are on the same page.  It will save a lot of headaches later.
Just my thoughts...  Thanks for reading if you got this far!
Melissa