[blparent] Seedlings Verses NBPBooks

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Sat Feb 14 17:45:24 UTC 2009

Hi, Jennifer,

Both Seedlings and National Braille Press have wonderful programs providing
children's books.  NBP has a  print/Braille children's book-of-the-month
club.  You receive monthly notices of the book that will be available, but
there's no obligation to purchase any given number of books.  The books are
sold at the same price as the ink-print versions.  Braille pages on clear
plastic are placed between the original print pages, so the child can see
the print and the pictures.  There are usually picture descriptions in
Braille as well.  NBP has also produced some print/Braille "board books" for
very small children.

Seedlings sells Braille books and some print/Braille books, i.e., the print
text is on the same page as the Braille text, but unless things have changed
in the last few years, their books don't have pictures.  They're also more
expensive than the NBP books.  NBP does an incredible job of getting
publishers to donate copies of their books to the program, and they also do
extraordinary amounts of fundraising to defray the cost to subscribers.
Seedlings is a much smaller-scale operation and they are amazingly good at
producing lots of books with their limited resources.

Other sources of print/Braille books are Twin Vision and NLS.  The Twin
Vision Books are produced by the American Action Fund for the Blind, which
is connected with NFB.  NLS has a very large collection of print/Braille
books that can be borrowed.  As far as I know they have never compiled a
separate list of their print/Braille offerings, so you have to look up
specific titles or authors to find them.  I think APH also has some
print/Braille titles for sale, so you might check their catalog too.  Their
books tend to be expensive but very sturdy.

Debbie