[blparent] Finding Educational Items for Children

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Tue Feb 17 01:55:52 UTC 2009

Hello Jennifer,
There are actually tons of toys out there that help teach letters, numbers,
and colors.  You might want to do some looking now and register for a couple
you think are best; you will be surprised with the number of choices, and
how accessible many of these toys are.  Right now Austin's favorite toy is
one that has raised numbers 1-10, raised letters, and raised shapes.  It
plays music, so he liked it when he was younger for that reason.  Now that
he's older he likes pressing each letter to hear its sound, pressing the
numbers to hear them named, and pressing the shapes to hear them named.
There is also a mode where the toy will say the letter and then say a word
that begins with that letter.  And, it actually has another mode where it
will ask you to find a certain letter, number, or shape.  It will let you
know if you are right or wrong.  I'm sorry I don't know what brand it is, or
even what it's called.  It was a gift, but I do know it was purchased at
Target.  It was 2 years ago, so I hope it's still being made...  Or, you
might even find something better.
	Austin also has a wooden puzzle with 8 different shapes.  He loves
to name the shapes and put the puzzle together.  This was bought at a second
hand store, but I'm sure you will be able to find something like it.
There are many books that teach color.  One of Austin's absolute favorites
is Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? By Bill Martin Jr.  This is
available through Seedlings.  You can also do little things such as
memorizing what colors certain stuffed toys, rattles, etc. are and
mentioning the colors when your baby is very young.  I was worried about
Austin not knowing his colors, but all of a sudden he has just seemed to
pick them up, and I didn't do anything too special except for mentioning
colors of certain toys and things in books.  There are also books that teach
shapes.
	Now, for the commercial...  Discovery Toys, the company I sell for,
does have some great toys you can use for color, shape, and number practice.
If you're interested, visit
http://www.discoverytoyslink.com/riccobono
and check them out.  I recommend Measure Up Cups, and the Giant Pegboard.
Roll and Play is also a fantastic game for toddlers; it works on colors,
turn taking, and following directions and it's tons of fun.  Roll and Play
comes with a soft fabric dy with six colors--one color on each side.  I used
puff paint to mark the colors--a Braille r for red, Braille b for blue, etc.
The child or adult shakes the dy and then has to pick a card of whatever
color comes up, then follow the directions on the card.  When I brailled the
cards I put "red" or "blue" etc. on the top of each in Braille so I would
know what color they are.  Then underneath I brailled what each card says.
	I haven't done this, but the pegs on the Giant Peg Board could be
easily marked in Braille with a letter for the color of the peg.  The pegs
are also five different shapes.  The Measure Up Cups could probably be
marked as well, but it might have to be done on the bottom.
	Leap Frog also has some great toys for teaching all of these
concepts.  And, finally, there are those great magnetic letters and numbers
for the refridgerator.  You can even get these with Braille all ready on
them; this was one of Austin's Christmas presents.
Good luck, and have fun picking out toys, books, etc. and exploring them
with your baby.  Know too that so much of learning doesn't take place with
fancy toys; it takes place with you just talking, reading to, and
interacting with your baby with simple household things and situations.
Melissa