[blparent] Finding Educational Toys

Alex heyitslu at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 01:54:55 UTC 2009

Hello!  I have found the Leap Frog line to be very good at teaching
colors, shapes, and letters.  I particularly liked the Frij Farm, Frij
Alphabet, and Frij Word Wammer.  The letters for the Frij Alphabet and
Word Wammer are raised.  They are also different colors.  When the
child is ready to build 3 letter words with the Word Wammer, the toy
prompts by giving clues about the letter.  One of the clues is the
color of the letter block.  With the way these go into the slots the
letters are self correcting.
I also liked the Melisa and Doug toys, particularly puzzles.  They
make lots of wooden toys, which are mostly quiet.  We have the zoo
animals, pets, and transportation puzzles, which also make sounds when
the pieces are fitted into the puzzle.  I labeled these in Braille, so
we could talk about them when the pieces were not in the puzzle.  We
also have the Melissa and Doug wooden clock.  This toy is tactile, so
I can change the time, but it also offers a lot of visual interest for
my sighted child (differently colored, removable shapes for each
number on the dial).
The Technology Access Center in this area will adapt toys around
christmas time, so if you cannot find already adapted toys or someone
who can assist you in adapting them, maybe contacting such a center
would be benefitial.
I hope this helps.