[blparent] A digital TV problem

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Feb 20 14:27:12 UTC 2009

I do not think that we're going to stop the roll-out of digital TV because it is incompatible with TV radios when tigital TV is incompatible with most televisions out there.
Certainly we can question whether digital TV should be mandated, but that is really a separate argument.  The complete change has been in the works for years and
the date had already been pushed back once to February of 2009.  It has now been pushed back again, but be aware that some stations are switching now
anyway.

I would guess that in time we will see some sort of small digital TV receivers, but it is hard to say whether we will see TV radios as we know it.  Analog TV sound as
received by most TV radios was really treated the same as FM, so the only thing that changed was the frequencies tuned by the radio.  Receiving Digital TV is
completely different, and it is even somewhat different than receiving HD radio on FM.

While there are no perfect options, there are a couple of options that one should keep in mind.  First, many cable companies continue to use analog for at least
some of their channels.  They are not forced to change and some are using this as a selling point.  Still, analog TV on cable systems probably won't last forever.

Second, some digital converter boxes have audio outputs and can be fed directly into a stereo and/or boombox without the need to also have a TV connected.
This can provide a source of sound on any device that has audio inputs.  It is even possible that such digital converters having audio outputs might be able to work
with some of the small powered speaker systems that one can buy for laptops.

There are several places where one can purchase very small and low power FM transmitters.  These devices are primarily intended for people who want to play a
small device like an I Pod or portable CD player through a car stereo.  One connects the desired device to the transmitter and then one can hear that device on an
FM frequency on any radio within fifty to a hundred feet depending upon the device.  One could connect a digital converter with audio outputs to such a device,
tune in their favorite channel, and then hear that channel on any FM radio nearby, even if it is not a TV radio.

Clearly, none of these options are ideal, and my guess is that as things change there will be products that might be particularly useful to us.  I think, though, that it
would be difficult to make the case that the incompatibility with our radios is worse than the incompatibility with televisions even though there is certainly some
frustration and inconvenience.  I am going to raise this question on our Electronics-Talk list to see what sorts of things have been tried.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson