[blparent] Breast Feeding Positions

Alex heyitslu at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 00:06:21 UTC 2009

angelina, I am glad that you have found a position that worked.  The
doctors will tell you that feeding children on your side, particularly
if you and baby fall asleep during the feeding that the sugar in the
milk is not good for the childs gums and later teeth.  I heard this
argument and still used the side position because it was most
comfortable for us.  My son is now nearly five years old.  He has a
beautiful smile, never had trouble with his teeth or gums, and cut
teeth early, so again I'm back to doing what works and could not see
any long term problems with the way I breast fed.  Good luck and
please contact me if you have more questions or if you just want to
complain about your challenges or brag about your successes.  I
returned to work after six weeks and pumped during the day and breast
fed during the evening, night, and morning.  Like I said before, I
really enjoyed that time with my baby.  It also made me stop and spend
time with my child and not worry about what the house looked like or
what else I needed to be doing at that moment.  And, don't feel bad
about having trouble.  During the past week I have talked with my
oldest friend (we met at a 7th grade dance) about her difficulties
with breast feeding.  she is a first time mom too.  but, she is also
sighted and a pediatrician, so I guess that just shows that this is an
issue many of us have faced.  Take care.  Lucy