[blparent] Questions about purchasing baby items

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at pcdesk.net
Fri Jan 16 23:03:23 UTC 2009

Again, don't buy or register for too many diapers or wipes of one brand.
Some babies get rashes from certain diapers, and some parents have their own
preferences.  For instance, I prefer the diapers by Kirkland, which are less
expensive than some others and easy to put on and take off because they have
Velcro instead of those sticky tape tabs.  I was given a package of Loves,
and I'll never, ever pay money for those.  They didn't fit well, and they
leaked.  A lot.  But some other people must like them, because the company
that makes them is still in business.  Some wipes are thicker than others,
and I prefer the ones that come in a box with a tab you can press to open
it.  The reason is because when you have a squirming baby in one hand, the
last thing you want is a Zip Loc bag of wipes to try opening and closing.
Once you have the box, you can get refills in just plastic, though the tab
on the box doesn't last forever, so you end up buying a new one now and then
when you get wipes.  So wait and see what works for you and your baby before
you get a bunch of diapers and wipes you can't use.  Once you find what
works, you can often get them in bulk at Sam's Club or one of the warehouse
stores, and that saves a lot of money.

As for clothes, I would suggest only getting a few things till you see what
size the baby is going to be.  Larger babies may outgrow the tiniest things
after just a few weeks, if they ever fit at all.  Sarah was in a brace to
fix a dislocated hip for the first six weeks of her life, which limited what
she could wear.  By the time she got out of the brace, I had to give away
some clothes she couldn't get into, that she'd never worn.  Also, think
about what season it will be when your baby reaches certain sizes.  An
average baby born now will need some warm sleepers and long-sleeved shirts
in the tiny sizes, then short-sleeved pajamas and outfits at about the six
month size, and warm stuff again by nine to twelve months.  The weather,
depending on where you live, can make a big difference.

Good luck,
Jo Elizabeth

It is easy--terribly easy--to shake a man's faith in himself. To take
advantage of that to break a man's spirit is devil's work. Take care of what
you are doing. Take care.--George Bernard Shaw in "Candide"