[blparent] babies putting things in their mouths (was bottle woes.)

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at pcdesk.net
Mon Jan 19 23:57:38 UTC 2009

I know Sarah has tried to share my guide dog's bone once or twice, at least,
and I believe she ate a tiny piece of paper, as well as a little dab of dirt
from a potted plant.  I don't want to think of what all babies over the
years, with blind parents or otherwise, have put into their mouths.  You
take care the best you can, and babies grow up in spite of themselves.

My sister worried a lot about how I would know when Sarah had something
foreign in her mouth, because she said the only way she could tell with her
babies was by seeing their cheeks and haws moving.  But honestly, I've had
no trouble hearing when Sarah has something in her mouth, and taking it away
from her.  If I've missed some little speck she's managed to swallow, I bet
the same thing has happened to many a sighted parent.  So don't let the
"what if" questions fluster you too much.

Jo Elizabeth

It is easy--terribly easy--to shake a man's faith in himself. To take
advantage of that to break a man's spirit is devil's work. Take care of what
you are doing. Take care.--George Bernard Shaw in "Candide"