[blparent] Children of Blind Parents

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Fri Jan 30 22:22:00 UTC 2009

Hi, listers,

As some of you know, for the last couple of years I've been intermittently working on a booklet aimed at social workers and other professionals who come into contact with blind parents and their families.  Several of you have provided me with great quotes about how you handle baby care, homework, etc.  Now I'm developing a section based on the experiences of our kids.  I'd like to include quotes from kids of any age raised in families where one or both parents are blind.  The idea is to address the concerns that are often raised by professionals and as much as possible to educate them and allay their fears.  Below are some questions that reflect the concerns social workers and others often bring up.  If any of your kids would be willing to write a few sentences in reply to one or more of these questions, or to write about any other aspect of growing up with blind parents, please contact me off list at dkent5817 at worldnet.att.net .

Thanks for all of your help!

Debbie

1)  As the child of blind parents, do you feel you've had to bear a lot of extra responsibilities?  Has it been a burden to you having to help your parents more than sighted kids do?

2)  Has it ever been embarrassing to you to go out in public and have people stare at you and your family?

3)  Do you feel left out because of things your parents can't do with you, such as taking part in sports or driving places for family vacations?

4) Do you fall behind in school because your parents can't help you with printed worksheets or read notes sent home by the teacher?

5) Are you sometimes able to get away with things at home because your parents can't see what you are doing?  Does their blindness ever allow you to get into situations that jeopardize your safety?