[blparent] bedtime stories

Amy Murillo-Hicks amym2 at cox.net
Wed Jul 15 02:03:06 UTC 2009

Hi there,

With my children being a little older, 10 and 12, I have really noticed how
I just can't get them to read at all on their own without a book report or
extreme bribes or threats.

I have discussed this with my kid's friend's parents, and we seem to be
finding that this is an epidemic and they are so in to video games, or
texting, or just being on the computer.

One of the things that I have started is and audio described movie night
where we listen to a downloaded movie with just the sound track.

My kids are both sighted, and we have found that this is a method for
helping them to use their imagination, and have still some kind of
multi-media experience.

I used many of the resources mentioned in this thread when they were little,
and I found that using the twin vision books are really important:
especially the ones where the line of Braille is comparable to the line of
print for helping to teach my kids to read along.

I'm not sure that I have any answers, just some more thoughts to add to the
mix.

Amy M-H