[blparent] Help

Mark Melonson variant at pcdesk.net
Wed Jul 15 09:22:34 UTC 2009

Jennifer,

Keep your head up... From my "limitted" experience with this subject with my
girls and younger cousins, it is usually just a matter of time before they
grow out of it. In my case, there were two reasons why my younger cousins
acted similarly when I was watchign them. 1) They thought that they could
get away with it, because I couldn't see them. 2) They thought that I was
treated as someone who was more "special" than them when around those who
they accepted as having authority over them (parents, grandparents, etc...)
In the case of the former, it may just be a matter of re-enforcing the idea
that, though he is blind, he is capable of finding out when she is
misbehaving and WILL do so. This was generally the case with my younger
cousins when I'd babysit them. Once they realized that they weren't going to
get away with it, and that I was paying close attention and routinely caught
them, then it stopped, and one of them calls me Daredevil to this day. In
the case of the latter, It is not that simple. Time fixed that one, but it
took more than two years. This is quite common in children that age, though
I know that probably doesn't help much to hear.

All the best,
-Mark