[blparent] Blind Parents Meeting

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at pcdesk.net
Tue Jun 2 16:49:34 UTC 2009

Sarah's father can see, and we've had one round with Social Services
already.  Then the other day, someone I know saw me carrying a baby
flotation device into my house from the trunk of the car.  It's an inner
tube with a seat built in for the baby's legs.  Anyway, the person said that
of course, I would only take the baby in the pool if there was a sighted
person to watch.  There's a pool for the condos where I live.  I said not
necessarily, because if I were right there, with my hands on the baby the
whole time, I would be satisfied with that.  She said she would call Social
Services if she ever saw me taking the baby in the pool by myself--which
means, I guess, that I'll only go when there's a sighted person to watch.  I
don't want those people knocking at my door again.

Jo Elizabeth

"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed
until it is faced."--James Baldwin