[blparent] [Bulk] "General public" and their impressions

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Sat Jun 6 12:47:10 UTC 2009

It's interesting about hospital social workers.  I actually was lucky enough
to have a good experience with the social worker who visited me after Austin
was born.  She seemed to stick to standard questions.  She did ask if I had
everything ready for the baby; actually she didn't quite put it that way.
She asked if we had a crib or a bassinette, a car seat, etc.  I could hear
that she was taking notes and checking things off a list.  The hospital
where Austin was born often deals with high risk and very poor moms and
dads, so I felt a lot of the questions were based on the fact that so many
people who pass through really do need a lot more help and services.  I was
also offered WIC.  I don't know if this was standard or not, but I just said
I knew we made too much to qualify and I was left alone.  The person who
made me the most nervous was a doctor--not the one who delivered Austin--who
kept asking if I had help at home, and if I thought I could manage because
of my "handicap."  Luckily, even though I was still in labor and not in the
best mood, I managed to answer him calmly and firmly and nothing else was
said.  Then there was this extremely annoying nurse who was completely
thrilled because I could find the toilet paper in the bathroom and I
"navigated so well!"  She questioned my ability to nurse because it's "a
very visual thing to know when the baby's mouth is open so you can stick the
nipple in.  Are you really committed to nursing?"  Thank goodness I knew my
sister, who is also blind, nursed three babies successfully, and that I was
committed to nursing unless there really was a reason I couldn't--such as my
body not making enough milk, or Austin really having difficulties of some
other kind.  So, I was firm on that point as well.  It is amazing though
simply how uneducated the public is!  I love the people who ask me if I had
someone come in to "adapt" my house for the baby.  Yes, there are child
proofing companies and they are great if you want to use them, but I think
it's crazy for people to believe that just because we're blind we don't know
what is dangerous for a baby or small child.
Melissa