[blparent] Carrying a baby while out and about

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at pcdesk.net
Sat Mar 14 03:23:31 UTC 2009

Hi, Anjelina.  I was given one of those travel systems with a car seat that
clips into the stroller, but I only used it a few times, and now my baby is
nearly grown out of it.  The car seat is bulky to carry, so if you are going
to be out a lot by yourself, you might want to look into a Sit and Stroll or
one of those systems.  You can pull the stroller behind you while you use a
cane or a guide dog--I'll send you an article on how to do it that I got
from Guide Dogs for the Blind--but the stroller car seat combos can be
expensive.  If you'll usually be with someone else, the travel system might
not be worth the money.  For short trips or when I just need my hands free
around the house, especially when Sarah wants to be held a lot like she has
while she's been sick, I like the Snugglee carrier.  It's a little hard to
get on and off, but once you're wearing it, putting the baby in or lifting
her out is easy.  I have a Baby Bjorn that I got at a yard sale as well, but
I haven't tried it yet because it seems stiff to me, and like it might be
better for larger babies.  If you have a chance, go to a baby store and ask
to get your hands on the floor models so you can start to decide what option
would be right for you.  I would also suggest, if there is nobody to show
you how to put the baby in the sling properly, that you take it to the baby
store and talk to someone who works there.  Or even take it to your local
hospital or a mom's group at your church or in your community, because there
might be someone who can show you hands-on how to work it.  I found that
reading the instructions wasn't helpful till I could get some hands-on help,
which I got from the WIC nurse that visits me periodically.  (She can see,
and she couldn't figure it out either without a lot of false starts, so
don't feel bad.)

Jo Elizabeth

"Don't throw away the old bucket until you know whether the new one holds
water."--Swedish proverb