[blparent] introducing myself

Leanne Merren leemer02 at gmail.com
Sun May 31 21:57:43 UTC 2009

Hi Scott,
The reason I switched was because my baby kept ending up with strange marks
on her bottom, like raised scratches.  I examined the diaper she was wearing
after the second time it happened, and I found sharp little things in the
lining of the diaper, kind of like slivers of wood.  I thought maybe it was
just a bad diaper, so I checked all the other diapers from that package and
found the same thing.  Then I checked another brand I had in my house, and
they had them too.  So I did more investigating on the net, and I found out
that disposable diapers are made of wood pulp, and that other babies had had
experiences like ours.  I questioned whether I could make the switch, with
the extra laundry, and I didn't think my husband would go for it.  But the
more reports I read, the more it bothered me.  Plus, we don't make a lot of
money with my husband going to school full time, and when I read how much
money can be saved that convinced me that we should try it.  My husband
agreed.  They are an expensive investment up front though, so I tried a few
to begin with and they were so cute and easy to use that I ordered more.  I
actually put my daughter in a gerber prefold diaper with no cover after I
found the slivers (or whatever they were) in the diapers, and my husband
bought some plastic pants from babies r us to go over those.  I had been
using those prefolds for burp rags, and they are really thin and don't
absorb much.  But everyone online told me that they didn't compare to the
diapers you could buy online, and now I agree.  I also love the pocket
diapers that go on just like a disposable and fascin with snaps or velcro.
The only challenge is keeping up with the laundry if I fall behind, and
cleaning off the dirty diapers into the toilet.  But honestly  I find
keeping up with the laundry easier than running to the store when I get low
on diapers, and I purchased a sprayer that is hooked up behind my toilet and
I just spray off the dirties.  It isn't difficult at all, and my husband has
said many times that he is so glad we switched.  I have only had to use one
disposable since I put her in cloth diapers 14 months ago, and that was
because she had an unexpected bowel movement when we were at the
pediatrician's office and I had already used up my supply of diapers in the
diaper bag.  Just 1/2 hour more and we would have been home. *smile*
I hope that answers some of your questions.  I know cloth isn't the way for
everyone, but it works great for us.  Also, if you're comfortable with it,
you can purchase used diapers from other families, and sell your own, so you
can get some of your money back when you're done with them.
Leanne
"Faith is being sure of what we hope for
and certain of what we do not see."
Hebrews 11:1