[blparent] Changing a Troubling Habit

Leanne Merren leemer02 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 17:35:05 UTC 2009

Hi Rhonda,
That is frustrating for sure.  Something I've tried doing is to let someone
that I feel I can trust know about a certain behavior and ask them to watch
for it.  If our kids are off playing with other kids, we're not going to
know what they're doing every second and we can't keep them glued to our
side.  So I figured this is a good alternative.  For instance, if Mason is
playing with children who are younger than him, he tends to get very bossy
and territorial.  He can be very helpful too, but sometimes he needs to be
in control and forgets to be nice about it.  So I'll let another adult know
to let me know about it.  My thought is that if they know that I'm on to
this behavior, they feel better approaching me when something is going on
that needs my attention.  I actually had to do this when I went to a play
group with Kaelyn, and there were 12 other babies there of the same age.
Kaelyn was going through a pushing phase and I had to tell the other moms to
let me know if she pushed any of the other kids so I could put her in time
out.  I had never met any of them before, and I didn't want any of them to
assume she got away with it just because I couldn't see her do it, or worse,
try to discipline my child for me.  It's annoying to have to depend on
others to keep us informed, but I guess that's just how it has to be
sometimes.
Leanne