[blparent] taking a baby some where

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Mon Oct 5 21:43:38 UTC 2009

Hello Vanessa,
You can certainly carry your baby in a sling, snugglee, or, when your baby
gets older and has good head control, a backpack.  Many parents on this list
have used different options.  I had a Snuggllee when my son was small.  He
faced toward me in it from the time he was about 2 weeks until he was about
4 or 5 months.  Then I was able to use it for a while with him facing away
from me.  After that, I bought a backpack carrier from REI.  It is light
weight, but has a nice frame and five point harness so my son was very safe
and the pack was comfortable to wear.  I just stopped using it; my son is
almost three and he's about 30 pounds now, which I finally found was too
heavy to carry on my back.  I also have pulled a stroller behind me while
walking my son, and now that he's bigger I have a nice wagon he rides in.
There are definitely very safe ways to carry a baby when out and about, and
it's very important to get comfortable doing so because it's nice to be able
to get out even when your baby is young.  I found even a short walk outside
could do wonders for both my son and I, especially when he was very cranky.
Melissa