[blparent] about the slings and back pack

Leanne Merren leemer02 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 18:26:27 UTC 2009

Hi Vanessa,
There are many different kinds of carriers that you can get for your baby.
Unfortunately, most of them are not sold in the major stores.  I bought a
wrap at Babies R Us, which is a long strip of fabric that you wrap around
you and baby and then secure it.  Mine has rings on it, and some you tie.  I
really liked it because it gave me a lot of versitility on which way I wore
it, whether I carried baby on my front, my back or my side.  The only issue
I had with it was when Kaelyn became a toddler, I would put her on my back
and she would wiggle her way out of the wrap and I felt like she might fall
backwards.  So now I'm actually looking for a soft carrier that gives me
versitility, yet is more secure for an active toddler.
There are back pack carriers, that I think work best for babies 6 months and
up, because they need to be able to sig upright in them.  At least that's
how mine is, maybe there are others that have more support for younger
babies, I'm not sure.  Then there are slings and front carriers...  There is
a site with great reviews and descriptions that I suggest you try.  Then, if
you can find a mom's group in your area you might be able to try out some of
the carriers to see what you like best.  The site is
http://www.TheBabyWearer.com
Of course, you can always ask questions here about specific carriers too,
and maybe someone has used the one you're thinking about.
Take care,
Leanne