[blparent] about rashes

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Fri Oct 9 22:28:40 UTC 2009

Hello Vanessa and list,
Different rashes feel different in texture, but most of the time they are
easy to feel.  They often feel rough like sandpaper.  Diaper rash is often
easy to tell both by touch, and also because your baby may be more upset
when you change the diaper and wipe; believe me, even in very young infants
you can tell the difference between a regular I just don't like this cry and
a this really hurts me cry.  My son, Austin, recently had a rash with a
virus.  It felt like sandpaper and started on his chest and back, then
spread all the way down to his legs and arms.  Since I felt it I was able to
take him to the doctor right away and have him checked out.  It was
interesting though because I took him back to the doctor because the rash
had spread.  She confirmed it had spread, but said that it actually looked
much better--much less red and angry--than it had when I brought him in.
It's been about a week and I can still feel the bumps a bit, although I
don't think they are noticeable to a sighted person; I had a babysitter
yesterday who didn't mention it and she changed Austin at least once.  To me
though, that extra trip to the doctor was more than worth it because of the
piece of mind it gave me that the rash was really getting better, even
though it had spread.
Melissa