[blparent] Just Curious

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Sat Sep 12 10:10:09 UTC 2009

I graduated in 1997 and did learn some abacus, but never anything complex
such as multiplication and division.  The talking calculator was never
really introduced to me; my older sister, who is also blind, got one and so
I just started using hers to check my answers at home when I was in fourth
or fifth grade.  When I was in high school I had a scientific calculator for
logs, sin, cosin, etc.  I don't know if the abacus is still taught today.  I
think it depends a lot on the teacher of blind students.  Some still teach
it; others don't.
Melissa